Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Veggie chili with spicy tortilla strips


This was part of our 6 month anniversary dinner. It was a weekday and I wanted to cook something special and unusual. Gave it some thought and zeroed in on this one. We had eaten this a few weeks back when we'd gone skiing. We were at an American restaurant with very limited vegetarian options. Thats when I ate this for the first time.
_DSC1523
This could be a special occassion dish.It could be a healer for a cold day or when you are down with cold / fever – a hot and healthy bowl of chili. Its a mexican-american dish I hadnt even heard of till a few weeks back. Now I love this simple dish. Very easy to cook , very healthy and filling.
What we need :
Bell peppers ( I used green and red, one each)
Some corn.
A handful of soaked kidney beans (rajma)
One large onion finely chopped.
2 Tomatoes diced
Ground pepper
Chilli powder.
Italian seasoning.(Optional)
Some parmesan cheese
Any other vegetable you may like to add.

For the tortillas
Wheat flour or maida ( i used wheat flour)
Chilli powder
Salt.

How we make it :
Knead the dough for the tortillas mixing the flour, chilli powder, salt and water (as needed) and keep it aside.
Add salt to the rajma(I don't like the name kidney beans) and cook it in a pressure cooker. They have to be cooked well enough , not "cooked just enough". ( I don't know why I framed this sentence this way !! but I like it !) What I mean to say is that they have to be cooked a little more than how you might cook it usually as a side dish for rotis. So let the cooker whistles keep coming.
Cut the bell peppers in little squarish shapes. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute the onions till transparent.
Add all the other ingredients and saute for a while. Add the cooked rajma (along with the water thats left in the cooker) If the rajma is cooked well, then it automatically binds the veggies together and thickens the dish. Else you can maybe try mashing some of the rajma to achieve the consistency. Cover and cook for 5-6 mins. Serve it hot with some grated Parmesan on top.

The tortilla strips:
Chili is usually eaten with corn tortilla chips. This one is in the form of strips and home made. I stuck to wheat flour. You can make it with any other flour or just buy the tortilla from the store! (When I reread this part, I realized it rhymes!) I couldn't go out and buy any, so ended up making it ! But I'm glad I did.
Roll and spread the dough in any shape you can (coz anyways we are going to cut it into strips !). Roll it thin and cut it into strips of whatever width you want. Heat a tawa/skillet and put the strips on it after you grease it lightly. after a few seconds turn the strips. Press it down with a cloth till one side cooks.Then turn and do the same to the other side. This way the strips become very crisp.

Variations:
You can use any vegetables you want to suit your tastes.
I used one tomato instead of two and added one spoon of pasta sauce (tomato and fire roasted pepper). It tasted really good !
You can use black beans instead of rajma. Black beans is more commonly used in Mexican food.
You can bake the tortilla strips. I tried,  but mine didn't come out crisp from the oven.
Chili is also served over spaghetti. Its called cincinnati chili. I haven't tried this but want to sometime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment