Thursday, March 24, 2011

Methi Paratha

Everytime I make this one, I aim very high ! I give it all I can so that I achieve what I have been wanting for – for it to taste like how Mom makes it. It always ends up good, but never like Mom’s. There’s hardly anything that goes into it. My kneading and rolling skills are better than my Mom’s. But still the flavour is never like hers (when the players are just 2-3 ingredients ! sheesh ! ).When I made this a few days back, I got kinda close to hers and I was happy ! So I consider myself eligible to post this on my blog :)

IMG_1930


What we need :
A bunch of fresh methi leaves.
2 spoons of red chilly powder
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
3 cups of wheat flour (Atta) and water for the dough  (ofcourse!)
Salt

Boil the methi leaves along with salt, asafoetida and chilly powder. Do not add too much water. Add just enough to cook the methi leaves. We do not want to drain out the water and lose out on all the flavour. The leaves need to boil just for abt 2-3 minutes and then let it cool.
In a bowl take the atta and add the methi leaves along with the water onto the atta. Now knead the dough  well, add a little oil in the end and leave it aside for about 20 minutes.
Roll out the parathas thick or thin , the way you prefer them to be. Heat a tawa and cook the parathas on both sides brushing oil on either side before you cook it.

If the flavours are right, you just need curd and pickle to eat along with it. If the flavours are not rich enough,then make a sabzi and pretend to be eating rotis and not methi parathas :)

Tip : If the methi leaves are too bitter, you can remove part of the bitterness by adding a little salt and leaving them for about half an hour before cooking them. Then squeeze out the water from the leaves and start cooking.








No comments:

Post a Comment