Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cabbage Molagoottal

Cabbage is one of my favourite vegetables. It adds good value to the meal, its easy to handle and its a flexi vegetable too coz we can make so many dishes with cabbage. Neither fussy nor messy. Love it :) Maybe I should have a separate section in my blog for cabbage dishes..lol ! someday :)
Cabbage molagoottal is easy, quick and the best part is, needs no side dish ! I dont make any side dish when I make this one. We just eat it with plain rice and it tastes awesome. But many a time I end up making rasam along with cabbage molagoottal coz I love the combo. Whenever I make molagoottal (any kind), I'm tempted to make rasam too. But if I'm lazier than usual that day, I dont make it. Not that rasam takes a lot of effort. Thats a very friendly one too :)

IMG_1894

What we need : 
A bowl full of chopped cabbage.
Half a cup of toor dal.
3 tbsp of grated coconut
2 green chillies.
2 tbsp urad dal.
1 tbsp jeera
Mustard
Asafoetida
Turmeric powder.
Quite a few curry leaves.

How we make it:
Boil the cabbage in a pan adding just enough water for it to cook.Add turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida.
Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker.
While this is going on, heat a little oil in a small pan and add mustard and urad dal to it. Let the mustard crackles and the urad dal turn a little brown. Add it to the grated coconut along with the green chillies and jeera. Grind this mixture adding a little water so that its very smooth.
Once the dal and cabbage are cooked, Mash up the dal with a ladle and add it to the cabbage.Add the coconut paste too. Let it all boil together for about 5 minutes. Heat a little oil in a pan and add mustard to it. Once it crackles, add curry leaves and mix it into the molagoottal. Add as many curry leaves as you like coz thats the main flavour and it makes the molagoottal smell delicious !

I was so not in a mood to cook yesterday. Usually I cook around 4-4:30pm coz then I dont have to be in the kitchen after Ashok gets home. Yesterday, I was lazing around doing my own stuff and I couldnt drag myself to the kitchen early and I started cooking very late. But this cabbage molagoottal came to the rescue. Quick and easy and a hearty meal we had last night :) I kind of avoid eating rice at night. Except on days when I have to make something really easy or I'm craving for "home food" . By home food, I still mean what mom cooks :) Exactly what it meant till a few months back when I was staying alone away from home !

No comments:

Post a Comment